I have been saying for a while that in 2022 I would be making more of an effort to make time for me, not my husband and me or the kids and me……just me!
This week alone, I have looked at my client list and it is steadily increasing with various requests. Some new and some challenging, bring it on!
This week I have booked a hotel stay for the weekend to just relax, regroup and rest. I can feel when my alarm goes off at 5am, it is getting increasingly more difficult to have that spring in my step and get to work. That alarm is being snoozed and once the cat starts scratching at my bedroom door, that’s my cue to get up.
We often only stop and take stock of how we are feeling when it is too late. So how can we avoid burnout within our business especially when a solopreneur.
Burnout can have a massive effect on both our body and our mind. The niggling aches and pains followed by fatigue, physical exhaustion and more. This can build up over a period of time and this is usually due to you working around the clock.
Let’s look at some of the symptoms:
- Lack of focus
- Writer’s block
- Creative streak dwindles
- Continuous exhaustion
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Emotional and feeling teary
- Constantly worrying
- Your sleep habits have changed (become poor)
This list is not exhaustive and varies for every individual. It is important to get a handle on burnout so that you can recover well, and to look at ways in which you can avoid this in the future.
The solution to overcome burnout is for you to feel good physically and mentally. It does not mean you should jump right back in the driving seat quickly. Take as much time as you need, it is extremely important for your well-being.
Tips on overcoming burnout are:
- Prioritise your work/life balance
- Reduce your workload, assess how much you can manage at any one time
- Ask for help – outsource if you need to
- Take on what brings you joy
- Schedule in regular breaks
- Be strict on your working day. If you finish at 5pm, finish at 5pm and leave your working space
- Make time in your day to eat
- Move your body – That can be doing a quick workout, going for a walk or grabbing your mat for some meditation
- Netflix & chill
- Remember that it is your business – You can take time off here and there. If you can give your clients some advance warning in regards to your holiday plans, there should be no issue with you having some downtime
- Phone a friend/relative – have a chat with somebody to talk about anything else other than your looming deadlines.
I hope that this gives you some food for thought today. Your health is so important, and we often put it aside, as we want our business to thrive and grow, but how will it grow if you are unwell and exhausted. Exhaustion occurs when you experience long-term stress in your working day. Let’s get you back to feeling your best.